Monday, 10 September 2012

Review: Triskellion

I apologise if this review isn't as detailed as it could be. I read this about two weeks ago but didn't have time to write a review. What I write will be from memory. Triskellion is written by Will Peterson. It is the first in a trilogy.


The only straight pictures of Triskellion I could get were different colours to the one I used. Here is the blurb:

Rachel and Adam are sent to stay with their grandmother, following their parents' divorce. But the quiet English village is a sinister, unsettling place. Is there a dark heart beating beneath the thatched roofs of Triskellion? It is a place protected by an ancient, three-bladed artefact; a village where crops never fail and where the war memorial is blank; a community with much to protect. With the help of the mysterious Gabriel, Rachel and Adam begin to unearth centuries-old secrets and make a shocking revelation about their family’s past – and their own future...

I thought the blurb sounded really interesting and loved this cover so I borrowed it from my library.

I really enjoyed this story. I found the main idea of it really intriguing. I felt that the pace wasn't as fast as it could be but it was still reasonably well paced. I didn't understand the entirety of this book but think that it will be explained in the sequel. It is part of a trilogy after all. The introduction to the book is really interesting e.g. wouldn't you be worried if you got a train in to an apparently deserted village?

The characters in this book were really interesting. Something special about Rachel and Adam is revealed later in the book (but I won't spoil it for you). There is also a character called Gabriel who is a mysterious character I was intrigued to learn about. I think Will Peterson (that's a pseudonym apparently) did quite a good job in building up the characters. I felt for Adam through Rachel's emotions. The story is mainly told through Rachel's point of view. However, there were some parts where it was from Adam's POV. I didn't really notice this until afterwards as it fit seamlessy in to the story. It was necessary for certain pieces of information to be known. We are also given some information about their grandmother and the Commodore which is really interesting to know.

This book kept me reading, I was able to put it down for a while though but when I started again I was always really intrigued to know what was happening. Having said that, I did read this book in a day. There was one scene 3/4 of the way through the book, where they are digging, I won't say anymore or who they are, but the updates are really suspenseful. When I got to this part I had to continue reading to the end.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and recommend it if you like books with a mixture of action/adventure, mystery and a little paranormal stuff. The paranormal stuff makes up quite a bit of this book but I wouldn't recommend reading Triskellion just for this purpose.

P.S. I was given a little extract of Triskellion 2 : The Burning which was really interesting and left me on a cliffhanger. My library is evil and doesn't have the second in the trilogy. Oh well, I'm hoping they'll get it sometime!

Plot - 9/10
Characters - 10/10
Hookability (ability to keep you reading) - 8/10

Total - 27/30

No comments:

Post a Comment