Monday, 10 September 2012

Review: The Hunger Games

I had heard nothing but great reviews for this book when I picked it up from a shop. And so I set out to find out what it was that people loved so much about "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins.
Winning will make you famous. Losing means certain death.

In a dark vision of the near future, a terrifying reality TV show is taking place. Twelve boys and twelve girls are forced to appear in a live event together called The Hunger Games. There is only one rule: kill or be killed.

When sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen steps forward to take her sister's place in the games, she sees it as a death sentence. But Katniss has been close to death before. For her, survival is second nature.

This book could not have been more deserving of the high praise it received. The idea of reality shows where the winner is the only one left has been thought of before (I remember an episode of Doctor Who where they were at a recording show and there was The Weakest Link playing, with a robot presenter, and the loser was killed each round). However, I have never encountered this idea in a book format.
The characters in the novel were very well developed, although I might have liked it more if we were given the book in both Katniss and Peeta's view. But that's not my decision to make. As it was, it was still a really effective novel and I could see why it was chosen to be done in only Katniss's point of view.
Hookabilty? I read this book in less than a day. Almost non-stop. You need to know what will happen. It is actually a book which asks some deep questions. When faced with death and the prospect of killing someone or losing your own life, what do you do? Kill? Hesitate, which could mean your death? It is a deep book that really gets you thinking. I recommend it to anyone looking for a good read and something a bit different to the YA books already out there. It really is distinguishable from most books I have read. Just pick it up, you'll love it.
Plot - 8/10 (I didn't consider it original but liked the fact it made you question yourself)
Characters - 9/10 (Really well developed)
Hookability (ability to keep you reading) - 10/10
Total - 27/30
Other reviews of "The Hunger Games":
http://jo-scrawls.blogspot.com/2009/03/main-blog.html

No comments:

Post a Comment