Monday, 10 September 2012

Review: Girl, Aloud

I loved reading "Girl, Aloud" by Emily Gale. If you're not familiar with the story, here is the blurb:

This is serious.
This is big.
Dad has finally lost it.
He's entered me for The X Factor.
This would be slightly less of a crisis if:

1. I could sing.
2. Any part of me wanted to be a star.
3. I hadn't lost my two best friends over a boy in brown boots.

Inside I'm screaming, I just wannabe... me!

I loved this book. I picked it up and just expected a fun read. What I found was an amazing book. When I picked up this book I was a little prejudiced. I expected it to be light and fluffy. In contrast, I found a book with a lot of depth. It touches upon some important issues e.g. the effects of having a bi-polar parent and what can happen if a boy goes too far when you tell him to stop.

The protagonist is a teenager called Kass. She's a fun person who deals with everything the best she can. Kass also has two best friends: Izzy and Char. Izzy has been seeing a therapist since her parents split up and as such, tends to psychoanalyse people and their problems. Char is the quite and kind one.

I never realised that Kass' dad had bi-polar until it was pointed out. I guessed it was some kind of mental illness but had difficulty pinning down which one as my knowledge on the subject isn't that great. I think the book does raise a great issue. At one point it focuses on how people joke about mental illness. And I think it's still true to say there is a fair amount of stigma surrounding mental illness. Not far from the end another big issue is raised where Kass decides where her loyalties lie. However, I can't go in to this without spoiling the book.

I had real trouble putting this book down because I wanted to see how Kass would deal with all her problems and the mounting pressure as The X Factor drew nearer. Overall, I would give this book: 4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment