Monday, 10 September 2012

Review: Fortune

Madison is so over New York. Her mom won't let her have botox and she can't leave the city because her step-father is sick. Snoresville. So when she gets a mysterious invitation to a private party in Capri, held by billionaire music mogul Brad Masters, she's determined to go.

Simonetta wants her mamma off her back. Of course she's not going to give up modelling in Rome to go back to her dull little village. When she gets her invitation, she sees the chance to lose her roots forever.

Sapphire just wants to write songs and hang out in the London record shop where she works. When she's invited to Brad's party, she doesn't even want to go - but her mum seems strangely excited about it.

Madison, Simonetta and Sapphire: three girls from different worlds who are about to find out they have more in common than they think...


"Fortune" is what I'd describe as a good summer read. And for me, it helped me escape England's summer, or lack of it. After reading it, I now really want to go on holiday. So if anyone can smuggle me in their suitcase, just let me know! On to the review...

As described in the blurb, the book centres around three main characters: Simonetta, Madison and Sapphire. Madison is an American who is used to wealth. That's about the best thing I can say about her. She is manipulative, sneaky and at times a real air-head. At one point she is described as a "grade-A bitch". I couldn't agree more. Madison is a character that you love to hate.

Simonetta doesn't appear much nicer. I did warm to her though. She isn't stupid and is trying to escape the life she was born into and better herself. Simonetta is extremely devious. She'd rather get other people to do the dirty work so she couldn't be implicated if a plan failed. Simonetta has a certain dignity that Madison lacks and her mysterious way had me intrigued. She was a difficult character to work out but I liked her.

Sapphire was my favourite character. She was English, a sweet person and appreciative of beauty when she saw it. However, this also led to Sapphire being too trusting. She was easy to manipulate. But Sapphire only takes things to a limit before she gets really angry. She is not a petty person but this also means she'll take a certain amount of insults from other people. This is the disadvantage of Sapphire's sweet nature.

I enjoyed the plot of this book. It was set against a stunning background which made me even happier. I don't know if I've mentioned before but I love reading about beautiful places. As the story unfolded, I decided I hated Brad Masters; you'll have to read the book to find out why. The story moved at a good pace with enough action to keep you engaged. Fortune was an easy and enjoyable read. As soon as I put it down I wanted to return to the beautiful world inside "Fortune".

Overall, "Fortune" is the ideal summer read for those lazy days under the sun. It's easy to read and the ending will leave you with a smile on your face.

No comments:

Post a Comment